Thursday, June 6, 2013

Maggie writes her first blog

Today has been very difficultt!!  I have never been in a tropical storm, I have never been aboard a boat during a tropical storm and to make matter worse, my momma and daddy left me all alone.  After my morning walk, which was in the rain and it got my fur wet, Momma and Daddy left the boat and locked me inside.  Daddy had tried to dry my fur with an old towel,  but they said they had to drive to Bradenton and buy a new GPS for our boat. I watched them drive off from my highest place.  It is on top of the pillows that Momma puts on top of the computer to keep me off of it. I cried for a few minutes but the strong winds got my attention and I just sat and watched people running from boat to boat getting ready for the storm. It seemed like forever, but finally I heard Momma and Daddy on the outside.  I got so excited.  I jumped up on top of the pillows on top of the computer but I could not see them.  The tide had come in and with the storm surge our floating home was sitting up about 4 feet higher than it should.  I heard Momma and Daddy talking about how they would get back on board.  The wind was blowing really hard and Momma was soaking wet.  Daddy had a rain jacket and was holding an umbrella over Momma but it was raining so hard that nothing helped keep them dry.  When they went to the boat next door, I could just see the top of their heads.  I was really worried now.  I started crying again.  The wind was rocking the boat and had blown the boat away from the dock.  Daddy pulled hard on the boat but could not pull it close enough to climb aboard.  I saw them push the stairs real close to the edge of the dock and Momma climbed the stairs as Daddy pulled the boat close.  Momma grabbed the boat rail but just them a gust of wind pushed the boat away and she was hanging from the hand rail just inches from the water. She is so strong! She pulled herself up and over the rail. Daddy was next and he was able to get safely aboard Lifestyle II.  I was so happy to see them.  I jumped up on them even though they were soaking wet and then I wagged my tail and tried so hard to not let them know that I had been crying.

We spent the rest of the day watching the storm.  Some damage was reported in the local town.  We saw the rescue boat go out and heard a boater was in danger of sinking.  By 6pm the storm had passed and we were able to go for a walk in the park next door.  I saw lots of tree limbs down but the ground smelled so good, I was so happy I forgot about being alone and crying.

Maggie Mae Liles, Official boat dog for Lifestyle II 

No comments:

Post a Comment