Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Carrabelle Sweet Carrabelle

Wednesday started like most days for me here in the forgotten coast.  A trip to ACE hardware!  This time it was a navigation light that was bad.  Since we will be traveling at night I checked all the running lights last night and found one bad.  Ronnie, the owner said he didn't have one but could order me one that would be in on Thursday. Denniese also had a list of supplies for me. I returned to the boat and found she had started a painting project.  It seems a steel pole on the sun deck needs some chipping, sanding and a fresh coat of paint.  While she started on that I checked out the nav light and found it was corroded which was causing a bad connection. It was necessary to crawl into and under the instrument panel to remove the light. After the third time of removing and replacing the light I finally had it working. " Boat Rule number 10... Repairs usually take 3 tries"!! Some folks in a couple of vans pulled up in front of the boat and seeing that I am the only person around they ask if there was a bar around here where they could get lunch. I told them not here but about 20 miles West was Apalachicola and it had lot of bars and restaurants. They also ask about fishing and where they could rent a boat.  Half the group left and the other half stayed and watched from the parking lot.  It looked to me like they were on a convention and had skipped out of the meetings. As much as I tried the repairs did not take all day so I started on another chore.  This time it was the macerator pump.  I had suspicions that it was not working . "Boat rule # 16, never go looking for problems,cause you will find them"!!  After spending an hour taking the hoses off the pump and testing it I found the reason it was not spitting out "stuff" is because the holding tank (sewage) was empty.  I had forgotten that we had it pumped before we got here.  That's OK the smell kept any visitors from coming up and asking a lot of dumb questions.  It looks like the Gulf may be calmed by the first of the week for a crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment