Sunday, August 28, 2011

South Haven Municipal Marina

South Haven, on lower Lake Michigan, is a nice community that seems to have a life after tourist season is over with well established neighborhoods and well kept homes.  The downtown is more trendy than most and seems to cater to the tourists and the boat people.  Several marinas line the river as it snakes through town.  This is our second day here and we took advantage of the time in the marina to go shopping and find a Baptist church to attend this morning.  It was only mile or so from the marina but we managed to get lost.  We were enjoying the bike ride and viewing the older section of town when I saw a local policeman cruising the area.  I stopped him for directions.  After giving me directions, clearly and succinctly, he said with a grin, "Where ya'll from"?  He was making fun of the way we talk. I said "NASH--VILLE" only because I can put more syllables in Nashville than I can Murfreesboro.  We all laughed and then Denniese and I rode the right direction to the church.  No wonder the South gets such a bad rap. We were two mature people, dressed in Sunday clothes,  riding bikes just off a boat and were lost.  I'm sure we were the talk of the department. The church was Calvary Missionary Baptist Church and it was nice.  It is the first one of any denomination that we have visited during this trip that had a full house. Good people, good service and the preacher ask the congregation to pray for our safe travel.  It was worth an extra something in the plate.  I think the weather will be agreeable for our travel to New Buffalo tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment