Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tennessee River

Fog so thick you could loose your dog. On a boat, that's some thick fog.  We anchored behind an island on the Tennessee River about 10 miles south of I-40 in Decatur County.  As you know the T. River runs north at that point so we are going upstream.  That means we are only able to travel about 6mph since the river is pushing against us at about 2mph.  Makes for long days.  We are now working on only getting about 40 miles each day because of the fog.  We were able to get under way at about 9 this morning.  Of course the engine died at 2pm.  No, I have not found the air leak but I've got bleeding the engine down to a science. Denniese goes to the lower helm and I dive into the engine compartment, she gives me a 2 second crank on the engine and I bleed the injector motor.  We usually do that twice before it will keep running.  Meanwhile the boat is drifting on its own.  That's not a problem as long as the water is deep, no traffic and the river bank is not too close.  I'll let you know when I get it fixed.  Otherwise, this is the most beautiful trip I have ever taken on the river.  The banks are real high and full of Autumn trees. The colors are great. We meet boats every day going south for the winter but nothing is better than Tennessee in the Fall.  This afternoon we anchored behind another Island South of Clifton, TN.  We may be out of the state in just a couple of days.  We will be on the TN-Tom which flows South between Alabama and Mississippi.  Tonight we are lucky to have a strong signal on the cell but not strong enough to send pictures.  Wish you could see.  All is well otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment